Challenging Interview Questions
Listed below is a selection of “tough” interview questions that you may wish to think about before attending an interview. Candidates often express concern about these types of questions but they are a way of finding out how you cope under pressure. Thinking about these questions prior to your interview will help you keep focused and keep the nerves in check.
By linking your experience and skills to the questions asked, you will have a higher chance of success. Remember, the interview is a chance for you to demonstrate your skills for the role and it is your opportunity to ‘sell’ yourself.
- Why have you applied for this role? What relevant experience can you bring to it?
- What kinds of people do you have difficulty working with?
- What do you think are the major challenges facing this industry in the next 5 years?
- Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 10. What would you have to do to become a 10?
- Tell me about a time when your work was criticised or a good idea of yours was rejected.
- What is the hardest decision you have ever had to make? Talk me through this.
- What has been your biggest achievement in the last 2 years? How did you achieve this?
- Based on what you know about us, what could we be doing more efficiently?
- How long would you take to make a contribution to our company?
- What skills have you learnt during previous roles that make you right for this position?
- Why should we employ you?
- When did you last work under pressure or deal with conflict and how did you cope?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
- Talk me through the toughest challenge you have faced in your career to date? How did you handle it?
- What do you know about me?